These scones are so flaky, light and delicious. They are also super easy, because they don’t require any rolling or shaping. They are great plain or with add-ins. We buy whole spelt and sprout, then dehydrate and grind it. Here is a brief video tutorial on making your own sprouted flours. If you are unable to sprout and grind your own flours, you can find them here and here.
2 1/4 cups sprouted spelt flour
3/4 t sea salt or real salt
1/2 t baking soda
1 1/2 t baking powder
6 T chilled butter (from refrigerator), cut into approximately 12-15 pieces
1/2 cup buttermilk (you could substitute yogurt or kefir)
1/4 cup honey
optional add-ins: dried apricot and slivered almonds, cranberries and ginger, currants, dried apples and cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. In food processor- pulse sprouted spelt flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
3. Cut in butter. Pulse until butter is broken into pea-sized pieces.
4. Pour in buttermilk and honey. Pulse briefly until combined. Do not overmix.
5. Optional: mix in add-ins.
6. Drop 8 equal size pieces onto greased baking sheet or parchment paper.
7. Bake for 5-8 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
Serve with butter and jam. Drizzled with honey. Or simply eat plain.