Buttermilk Honey Sprouted Spelt Scones
These scones are so flaky, light and delicious. They are also super easy, because they don’t require any rolling or shaping. They are great plain or with add-ins. We buy whole spelt and sprout, then dehydrate and grind it. Here is a brief video tutorial on making your own sprouted flours. If you are unable to sprout and grind your own flours, you can find them here and here.
2 1/4 cups sprouted spelt flour
3/4 t sea salt or real salt
1/2 t baking soda
1 1/2 t baking powder
6 T chilled butter (from refrigerator), cut into approximately 12-15 pieces
1/2 cup buttermilk (you could substitute yogurt or kefir)
1/4 cup honey
optional add-ins: dried apricot and slivered almonds, cranberries and ginger, currants, dried apples and cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. In food processor- pulse sprouted spelt flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
3. Cut in butter. Pulse until butter is broken into pea-sized pieces.
4. Pour in buttermilk and honey. Pulse briefly until combined. Do not overmix.
5. Optional: mix in add-ins.
6. Drop 8 equal size pieces onto greased baking sheet or parchment paper.
7. Bake for 5-8 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
Serve with butter and jam. Drizzled with honey. Or simply eat plain.